Mediatek is an IC (semiconductor) chip used in various mobile phones, tablets, computers, and navigation systems. Mediatek Inc. is a taiwan company founded in 1977. Mediatek inc. is the largest IC designer in the world. The Mediatek processors focus on more cores such as octa core, hexa core, and deca core. These cores make mediatek chipsets more efficient and smooth. Mediatek chips offer multi-threaded APU's - AI Processing Unit - that provide new capabilities for AI-Camera, OS enhancements, voice assistants and much more.
Advantages and disadvantage of mediatek chips
Advantages: The advantages of mediatek chips are described below:
- Mediatek chips are cheaper in price. It is cheaper than Qualcomm snapdragon series, Samsung Exynos series, Huawei Kirin series, Apple chipsets.
- MediaTek uses standard Arm CPU cores for its processors, without modifying them too much.
- Mediatek has increased the GPU performance in Helio P90. This is a big graphical update.
- Mediatek chips perform very well and efficiently. With more usage of cores, mediatek chips can handle heavy multitasking at the same time without any lag.
- Mediatek has a dedicated Artificial intelligence processing unit (APU). This apu feature brings smart scene recognition, better facial recognition, and more to mid-range phones.
- Mediatek has upgraded their multi-core engine with an intelligent multi-threading scheduler that delivers up to 30% more AI processing efficiency than the previous P60.
Disadvantages: The disadvantages of Mediatek chips are described below:
- All chips tend to heat while processing. But mediatek has the reputation of becoming too much heat producer on the phone.
- Mediatek chips are said to drain battery fast. They are prone to battery drain. The process of improving mediatek power usage is still in progress.
- Although mediatek processors are better at multitasking. But their multitasking will only work best in high RAM devices. Those devices which have low RAM storage will see issues in multi-tasking.
- Mediatek uses third party graphics “Mali”. The Graphics architecture is different from the CPU so sometimes the graphics experience is not that good.
Conclusion: All the chips including mediatek chips offer things different from each other. The only thing to note is that a smartphone that bats for a balanced approach of making is best to choose.